Today it dawned on me just how scarily close my birthday is. I turn 25 in two short months, and although I’m not where I would ideally want to be, I am happy. I did expect to be working/actively doing something/married by 25. I am none of these and yet I’m actually in a good place. Why? Because I am content. I have finally learnt to be at peace with myself and let things take their natural course.
All these things, I wish I had known when I was younger. I have struggled with body confidence issues, phases where I’ve thought I was too fat/ too thin/ not pretty enough and generally not worth it. Today I am a self – actualised young lady overflowing with confidence. So if I had a chance to talk to younger me, this is what I would tell me:
1. Be confident. Nobody can make you happy or bring you down but yourself.
2. It really doesn’t matter what others think of you. Really, it doesn’t. All that matters is what you think of yourself.
3. Love yourself. Then you can learn to love others. Do not look for love in all the wrong places. And do not equate material things to love.
4. Appreciate small beginnings. Everyone starts small. It’s how you end that counts, not how you begin.
5. Nothing in life is permanent. Not even life itself, so make the most of every opportunity.
6. Mistakes are a part of life. Learn from them.
7. Learn to let go. Ultimately it’s not everyone in your life that is important to it. Some people weigh you down more than you may realise. It might hurt, but sometimes it’s best to let go.
8. Value your friendships. Your friends are going to be there with you through it all. They are your surrogate family.
9. Your mind is more powerful than you think. Visualizing your dreams makes them even more real, then you can work to achieve them.
And above all…
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.